Friday, February 25, 2005
Many girls feel that it is some sort of impediment to wear a headscarf (hijab) and that by wearing it they would reinforce the image of the oppressed muslim woman, that somehow NOT wearing it gives the image of a more modern progressive liberal woman who has rebelled against backward social norms. So u might not get into a nightclub with it on, or pull as many guys, but here I offer a few advantages, other than the fact that it is a religious obligation in Islam:
- Warmth and protection from UV rays- 90% of heat escapes from your head, wearing a headscarf really does keep you warm in winter. In the summer, wearing lighter shades serves to reflect hot sun rays (hence even men wear white ghitras).
- Practicality- never a bad hair day -one less major issue to worry about in life.
- Style- people look at it as a fashion accessory. I personally own over 200 scarves…I keep throwing some out but a continuous supply enters the wardrobe since it makes a popular gift.
- Respect- people somehow think you are this honourable wise woman who is honest and sincere, some ppl have even asked me if I’m a nun. I made sure i never wore a black and white scar again. Also makes a good first impression.
- Distinctiveness- if your in the West, you become the first person whose name is remembered purely because you are the only one who wears it.
- Versatility- a million and one ways in which you can wear a scarf, so there is scope for creativity. The way it is worn sends out many signals.
- Making a statement- you really do become an ambassador for Islam by wearing it. All of a sudden you’re the one with all the answers and your opinion is often sought on anything to do with Islam. So basically I always feel that i'm being a role model on the one hand but also trying to set a more modern image of muslims.
- Preferences - Most guys prefer their partners to be mit7ajbaat. Even those who marry non-hijabis, they end up nagging them to wear it. If they don't have that inherent preference, then there is a problem (don't mix this up with the issue of trust and jealousy).
- Anti-ageing - wrinkles around the neck are best covered up using a headscarf even though most people don't know that you’re not even obliged to wear it after 50.
- Protection- against 80% of lustful perverts. The other 20% say that they find it 'alluring'. For the latter I just tell them that i'm actually bald, can't afford a wig and the scarf was the cheapest option.
Ok so those were just the benefits of the bit of cloth on ur head. I would also add that how you carry yourself, your style, your presence, your charisma, your elegance are also as important for the image. The combination of all of these leads to the optimal solution.
The scarf is part of my identity. I’ve been wearing it since I was nine. Its not an issue. In fact, its not even something I give a second thought in the mornings. No thats a lie, I do take approximately 30 seconds to decide which colour matches my outfit. In my personal experience, being a 'mit7ajba' has only ever been a positive force of good in my life.